My Confirmation Sponsor
- All candidates need a (only one) sponsor for their Confirmation.
- The sponsor is chosen by the candidate and their parents.
- The sponsor is a person who is sufficiently mature (at least 16 years old), must be Catholic (having received Baptism, Eucharist and Confirmation), and should be living a life of faith, thereby giving witness to Jesus.
- The sponsor will, in turn, encourage the confirmed person to behave as a true witness of Christ and faithfully fulfill the obligations inherent in this sacrament, with the help of the Holy Spirit. The sponsor should be a person who is in regular contact with the candidate to act as “role model” on a regular basis.
- During the preparation and celebration of the sacrament, the sponsor will represent the community’s support and love. During the ceremony, they will present the candidate to the Bishop for anointing.
- If unable to attend the ceremony, the sponsor may have a proxy represent them.
- Parents are not eligible as sponsors since they are already fulfilling a role as Christian witnesses in the candidate’s life.
- A Baptismal godparent may be the Sponsor.
- If a Confirmation candidate has no one to ask as sponsor, our parish would gladly suggest someone.